Thursday, October 05, 2006

A ten minute post

10:47 AM
I need a new book to read. In the meanwhile, I'm tackling some mysteries from an issue of Queen Ellery, which are so uninspiring that I'm once again starting to become excited about my potential as an author (this feeling ineluctably wanes after the first word or two of a writing session). Speaking of which, I've decided to start writing in at least two mandatory ten-minute sessions a day, the goal being to simply write without letting negativity -- i.e., the logic center of my brain -- get me down, without caring about grammar, shitty dialogue, fancy phrases, unnecessary metaphors, or mindnumbingly dumb plotlines. Last night I executed this plan to perfection. I wrote 170 some odd words in the first session. The second time, I actually wrote for the better part of an hour, which is a nice, anticipated side effect: the likelihood that I'll continue writing past the ten minute barrier. In total, I churned out a solid 1200 words of fiction. Yes, upon re-reading my work this morning I hastily vomited (it was either that or morning sickness, but I don't think I'm preggers), but oh well. I'll probably never publish anything, and no, this website doesn't count, but that doesn't mean I can't improve and, maybe, someday, be able to read my own fiction without retching. Let's face it, if I can't force myself to write for ten minutes, ten lousy minutes I'd otherwise spend staring at ESPN.COM for the hundredth time of the day, then
10:57 AM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be worse. You could be a washed up never-was alcoholic who doesn't even have the will to wait ten minutes after getting home before popping open his (or her) first brewskie.

I don't know anyone like that.

Brett said...

The only reason I'm not an alcoholic is because I, for some damn reason, have started to give a flying fuck about my appearance again, and my athletic performance. (Though I did have hard liquor during a Frisbee game two weeks ago, but so did everyone else. Man our team sucks.)

I'm sure these fads in my life will fade, and the good old days will some day soon return.

Ah, memories.

p.s. When did I claim not to be a washed-up never-was? Stop putting words in my mouth! Mmm...now I'm getting hungry.

Love,
Brett